Thursday, April 8, 2010

How Much Protein do you NEED?

Hello!

This is a common question and the answer varies, depending on your goals!
For myself, I average 1 gram of protein/ 1 lb. This works great for me, as I eat clean and train with a mix of power & speed. I find that in order for my muscles to recover I need the protein right after training.

The below chart is a guideline for both men and women that I got from bodybuilding.com (link is below the chart)Recommended grams of protein per lb. of bodyweight for each training.


(The Personal Protein Calculator uses the same numbers.)

Lifestyle/Training GoalDaily Protein NeedsLifestyle/Training GoalDaily Protein Needs
Bodybuilding1.0 - 1.6g/lb bodyweightEndurance0.7 - 0.9g/lb bodyweight
Power & Speed0.9 - 1.1g/lb bodyweightTrauma Recovery0.9 - 1.4g/lb bodyweight
Dieting0.35 - 1.0g/lb bodyweightStressed0.45 - 0.7g/lb bodyweight

For example, a person who weighs 200 pounds with 15% body fat needs at least 170 grams of protein. 200 pounds  15% equals 30 pounds of fat weight. 30 minus 200 equals 170 pounds of muscle

Meals should be spaced out every 2 and a half to 3 hours throughout the day. To get the most out of your training and after eat a protein meal one hour before training!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/randy8.htm

Photobucket

1 comment:

Sweta said...

Oh this is good info!!! I think 1g/kg body wt is enough for most people(other than those looking at body building) :)