Monday, April 25, 2011

Some of my favorite moves!

I always start my workouts with a cardio warm up, so a minimum of 10 minutes to get your heart rate up and a light sweat should do the trick!


Being pregnant and a bit off balance at times, has changed my workouts, but for the most part I have been able to keep some of my favorites in! Take a look!


Alternating lunge-with weights

This is the ultimate lunge walk! I take two 5lb plates (used to be 10 lbs!!) and lunge/walk the length of the room. Each time I come up to standing, I bring my feet together to regain balance and alternate legs. 
Keep your back straight-no tipping forward and
knees should never cross past your toes.


Lunge Walk the room 2 times, there and back! 

Weighted Ball Squats


Ball squats are great!! I keep those 5 lb plates at my side, take a large stability ball and place it on the small of my back against a wall or this case, a mirror wall. Lower yourself down to a squat position and hold for 5 seconds bringing yourself back up to standing. 


Do 3 sets of 15 with minimal rest in between.


 Free weight-Bicep Curls

After my legs feel like jelly...I move on to some  bicep curls! Taking a wide stance, chest is proud and raising 12.5 dumbbells slowly to the top of my arm and lowering slowly. 
Keep elbows tight to the body, concentrate on the bicep curl and focus on your breathing. Breathing out on the way up and in on the way down.

Do 3 sets of 15 with minimal rest in between.


Skull Crushers


This exercise requires the use of a bench. Seeing that I am 28 weeks pregnant, I take out one riser so that my bench is inclined and allows for blood flow to my uterus and baby! If your not pregnant, just leave the risers on.
Take a weighted bar over head, keeping a narrow grip, shoulders stay down and bring the bar towards your forehead, hinging at the elbow. 
Return back to starting position


Do 3 sets of 15 with minimal rest in between.


Airplane
This one is great for stability for your core as well as your back. On a mat, slowly lift one arm straight out, and the opposite leg straight out. Try not to lift leg too high. Keep in line with the spine. Hold for 10 seconds, and switch arm/leg combo.


Do total of 15 per side.


Have  a great workout!!

1 comment:

Jaimee said...

Deborah, great post today! I like that you put pictures of what you are doing along with the explanation so I know what it looks like. Also, I like seeing you pregnant!! You are so beautiful! Jaimee