Thursday, May 5, 2011

5 Minute + 5 Ingredient No Bake Almond Butter Chews!

Thanks to one of my favorite blogs, I found a fabulous recipe that I just had to share! Thanks Angela!!!


http://ohsheglows.com


5 Minute + 5 Ingredient No Bake Almond Butter Chews

IMG_8366-2b
Last week, I finally replenished my Almond Butter stash after being without it for a few months. I really don’t know how I survived that long! I actually need to start making my own again too.
But the good news is, Almond Butter (crunchy, all-natural) is now back in my life and I can return to a normal human being.
Well, I guess that’s relative.
Anyways, I am willing to turn a new leaf in 2011 where I shall not be without my dear Almond Butter for this long.
This is a promise to myself.
IMG_8384
For this recipe idea I challenged myself with several requirements:
  • Portable
  • Less than 5 minutes to prepare
  • 5 Ingredients or less
  • Around 100 calories
  • No-Bake
  • Vegan
  • 1 Bowl
  • Easily adapted to wheat/gluten-free

It was a tall order, but I was willing to take the challenge!
Amazingly, I was satisfied with the first trial. That rarely happens! It must be the magic of the Almond Butter.
I’m telling you, 2011 is going to be a lucky year…
IMG_8364
IMG_8361
I have been using this Nature’s Path Rice Crisp for a few years now and it never lets me down!
IMG_8370
It also happens to be Gluten-Free to boot.
IMG_8371
Gather up the 5 ingredients…
IMG_8332b
Mix the wet ingredients together (Almond butter, vanilla, and brown rice syrup)
IMG_8372-2
I’m always asked where to find Brown Rice Syrup. You can find it at Whole Foods and at Loblaws/Superstore in the natural food aisle near the honey. I use Lundberg’s organic Brown Rice Syrup.
Brown Rice Syrup is made from brown rice and is thus a great alternative to refined sugar because it has a lower glycemic index and it also does not produce spikes in blood sugar like simple sugar. As a result, brown rice syrup delivers a steady and consistent energy supply. I fueled a half marathon using brown rice syrup once!
Stir well.
IMG_8373
Heat in microwave on high for 35-45 seconds. Stir.
Now mix in the dry ingredients (rice crisp and cacao nibs or chocolate)
IMG_8374
Make sure to stir very well so that you coat all of the rice crispies!
IMG_8377
Now wet your hands very well and form into balls. You will have to keep wetting your hands after you make each ball so the mixture won’t stick.
I made 7 large chews.
IMG_8379
Freeze for 5-10 minutes.
IMG_8350
and enjoy!
Eric and I absolutely went wild over these Almond Butter Chews. I love them straight from the freezer. They are chewy, sweet (but not too sweet!), crunchy, and they pack a wonderful Almond Butter Flavour.
IMG_8382
It is a great pre-workout snack when you just need something small and you don’t need a large snack or meal. I popped one in my bag and enjoyed it before a Body Pump class and it was just enough fuel to carry me through until I had a post-workout snack.
IMG_8366


Photobucket

No comments: