Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Whole Wheat Banana Streusel Coffee Cake

This is a super random recipe that I made up today! I love surprising myself with baking up a new something something!!
My house, smells like a bakery..ahhhh, just love fresh baked goods that are enjoyably healthy too!

INGREDIENTS
  • 5 cups of whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 cups of organic cane sugar
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 cup of butter (I used earth balance buttery spread)
  • 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
  • 1 cup of toasted and chopped pecans
  • 6 medium bananas (pureed)
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons of orange zest 
DIRECTIONS
  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Spray a large glass baking dish (I used my largest one 12x12) This recipe makes a lot!!
  • In a bowl add the flour, sugar and salt. Then add 1/2 cup of the butter,1/2 cup of the applesauce, mix well (I used my fingers as I dont have a pastry blender)
  • In another bowl pour in 3/4's of the above mixture and add in cinnamon, and remaining butter and applesauce, add pecans (mixture should be nice and crumbly as this is your topping) SET ASIDE
  • In another bowl, whisk together the banana puree, eggs, vanilla, baking soda and orange zest. Stir into remaining flour mixture and mix until just combined
Pour the batter into the baking dish, and add the topping.

Bake until cake is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.

My cake took me 55 minutes.

Cool in pan for at least 1/2 an hour before cutting into squares and serving.


No comments: