Sunday, October 7, 2012

Thanksgiving Eat Clean options!

Fall is my favourite season and Thanksgiving is simply my favourite holiday! I love this time of year, the crisp air, the beautiful colour of the leaves on the trees and the food...oh the food. I am a little crazy for pumpkin pie and all the other pumpkin concoctions out there. I have found some variations to make it through this holiday without turning into a pumpkin myself. I thought I would share a few tips to help you enjoy this special time!

No Added Sugar Pumpkin-Apple Butter Recipe
from Spark People







Introduction

I love this spread this over whole wheat toast for breakfast with nut butter or to thicken my fall soups. My son Josh loves it with bananas. You won't believe I didn't add any sugar!
Number of Servings: 24

Ingredients

1 (29-ounce) can pumpkin puree or fresh steamed pumpkin
1 cup apple cider
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced

Tips


Directions

Try this on acorn squash, too!
Give away small canning jars of pumpkin butter as gifts. Due to the low acid in the pumpkin, it is not suitable for canning. Place a label on the jar with the date made. Note that it will keep in the refrigerator for one week or up to three months in the freezer.
Be sure to use pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie mix, which contains spices and sugar.
--
Place all ingredients in a lidded saucepan. Cover and simmer over moderate heat for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for an additional 20 minutes. Stir frequently, as the mixture gets quite thick.

Puree with an immersion blender or in a food processor. Pour into canning jars or sealed containers. Refrigerate until chilled.

Makes 3 cups, 2 tablespoons per serving.






Clean Eating Pumpkin Pie
From Gracious Pantry



This recipe is one of my husband’s favorites. He loves pumpkin pie, and I love that this recipe is not only easier on the waistline than most, but clean to boot!
I adapted this recipe from the book, Laurel’s Kitchen Caring: Recipes for Everyday Home Caregiving by Laurel Robertson. Although difficult to find in most book stores, it’s is well worth the search. The recipes are clean, but the focus is on nourishing and nurturing with food. I can’t say enough about this book. I was lucky enough to find it for a $2 in a used book store. But a find like that is rare.
(Recipe updated 9/25/10)
Clean Eating Pumpkin Pie
(Makes 2 traditional sized pies)
Ingredients
2 cups prepared pumpkin
1/2 cup honey
4 egg whites
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 1/2 cups fat-free milk (you can substitute unsweetened soy, almond or rice milk)
Directions
Step 1 – Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl, and mix thoroughly.
Step 2 – Pour mixture into pie crusts.
Step 3 – Bake at 425 degrees F. for 15 minutes.
Step 4 – Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. and bake for 45 additional minutes.
Side Notes: This pie is not very sweet. If you prefer a sweeter pie, add an additional 1/4 cup of honey.
Eat and Enjoy!
Nutritional Content
1 serving = 1/8 of a pie
Calories: 192
Total Fat: 8 gm
Saturated Fats: 1 gm
Trans Fats: 0 gm
Cholesterol: 0 gm
Sodium: 180 mg
Carbohydrates: 27 gm
Dietary fiber: 6 gm
Sugars: 7 gm
Protein: 6 gm
Estimated Glycemic Load: 11
Nutritional Information estimated at Nutritiondata.com. Data may not be accurate.Photobucket

No comments: